Indian fans are still waiting to know where they can watch the 2026 FIFA World Cup tournament. With less than a month left, the World Cup will begin on June 12 in the United States, Canada and Mexico, but India still does not have an official broadcaster for the event. The delay has created confusion among millions of football fans in the country. Big media companies like JioStar and Sony Group Corporation have shown interest in the media rights, but no final agreement has been reached so far.
According to reports, JioStar offered around $20 million for the India rights package. However, FIFA was earlier expecting close to $100 million for the India market. FIFA later lowered its expectations to around $35 million, but the offer is still far from what broadcasters are willing to pay.
Read More | FIFA World Cup 2026 Broadcast: Delhi Court Intervenes as India Faces Potential Blackout
The issue has now reached the Delhi High Court. A petition was filed asking the court to ensure that the FIFA World Cup 2026 is broadcast in India, especially through free-to-air platforms such as Doordarshan and DD Sports. The plea requested a free telecast of important matches, including the opening game, quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final.
During the hearing, India’s public broadcaster Prasar Bharati told the court that it is not legally responsible for buying the FIFA World Cup broadcasting rights. The statement was made before Justice Purushaindra Kumar Kaurav. Prasar Bharati said that acquiring commercial sports rights is outside its official role and responsibilities.
The petitioner argued that the FIFA World Cup is considered an event of national importance under Indian sports broadcasting laws. The plea also said that Prasar Bharati already has the infrastructure to broadcast matches through DD Sports, DD Free Dish and its WAVES OTT platform.
Read More | BARC’s New TV Ratings Policy 2026: Landing Page Viewership Will No Longer Count
The court later allowed the petitioner to withdraw the plea and seek other legal options.
The situation has become more surprising because India has a very large football audience even though the national team has not qualified for the World Cup. During the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, India recorded massive viewership numbers. Reports said more than 110 million viewers streamed the tournament online, while the final between Argentina and France attracted around 32 million viewers in India alone.
Read More | Prasar Bharati Releases Fresh D2M Test Results: Technology Clears Telecom Checks
FIFA officials have also reportedly visited India in recent days to hold discussions about the media rights issue. The global football body has already completed broadcast deals in more than 180 regions around the world, but the India agreement remains unfinished.
For now, Indian fans still do not know where they will be able to watch the biggest football tournament in the world. With the opening match only weeks away, pressure is growing on broadcasters and FIFA to finalise a deal quickly.
Indrani Priyadarshini is a journalist and editorial professional specialising in technology, artificial intelligence, smart cities, green energy, and digital transformation. With over four years of experience in tech journalism and digital media, she is known for turning complex industry developments into clear, engaging, and insightful stories. Her expertise spans reporting, editorial strategy, digital publishing workflows, and in-depth coverage of emerging technologies shaping the future. She has also conducted high-profile interviews and podcasts with industry leaders, bringing sharp analysis and accessible storytelling to a wide audience.
